Sunday, May 24, 2015

Packing for Maine

Today, my parents and I are heading north to begin our journey to Maine. I'm telling people I tricked them into taking a vacation so they could drive my north, but my sister will be joining us on Wednesday, so they really are taking a vacation!  Since it's a 12 hour drive and I am working remotely tomorrow, we are breaking the trip up into a couple of days. We will stay at our family farm tonight in Harrisburg, PA and then drive as far north as we can Monday night, maybe getting into the Hartford, CT area. We will drive the rest of the way Tuesday to Bar Harbor. I'm excited to be one of the first people in the US to see the sunrise Wednesday morning as Bar Harbor is the first place the sunrise can be seen in the US. Then, the excitement will begin with Orientation at noon on Wednesday and off we'll go Thursday after a ceremonial rear tire dip in the Atlantic Ocean.

It's complicated to pack camping gear, cycling gear, off bike clothes, toiletries, and rain gear for this trip into a 30" duffel bag; all of it, including my tent.  Luckily, I can take a separate grocery bag with my food.  It's been done year after year, but it seems more complicated for me this year because rain and cold temps are in the forecast for the start and then hot weather at the end. I suppose I'm mostly worried about being cold at night. I have everything laid out and I know it'll all fit, somehow perfectly, but I'm always wondering if I'll need more. Following the suggested packing list is always a smart choice. Even with all my travels over the years, I always seem to find myself trying to over, but it always works itself out in the end. Well, I guess I should get to it!

Here's a sneak peak at the section of the route I'll be participating in, starting on Thursday morning.


If you would like to donate to Bike the US for MS, please do so through my page:

http://biketheusforms.org/cyclists/detail.asp?cid=727

Check back soon for more posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment