Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Training Day

For Memorial Day weekend, my training partner and I headed up to Skyline Drive to do some mountain riding while also learning to use my new bike cleats, helmet mirror, ride in the heat, and get a 50 mile ride in. Seems like a lot, eh? It was!  Sunday was just a short 12 mile ride at sunset while I practiced with my cleats.  Monday, however, was the real training day! I knew it would be my last big ride before the trip. We started at the north end of Skyline and headed 4 miles uphill, going south. I never thought we would make it to Dickey Ridge for a quick break. Four miles and I was already dying.  How am I ever going to do this trip?!  If you saw the mountain I climbed over those 4 miles, you'd wonder the same thing.  I knew I had to get through another 40+ miles, so I put all my focus into the ride with stops only at peak tops where there were great overlooks. Our halfway mark was way down in Mathews Arm, which required a brutal uphill to start out the return trip. Luckily, the ride back was about 2/3rds downhill, so I finally had a chance to soak it all in.


This picture is with all my gear at Hogback Overlook, with about 20 mikes to go. I know all the non-bikers think I look ridiculous!  On the downhills, I finally felt confident riding around 30+ mph without braking and actually enjoyed the speed.

We stopped a lot to rest, eat, see bears, and take in the views, but in all, the day lasted about 7.5 hours. I'm thankful to have a supportive training partner and finally feel ready to take on this challenge. I may not have pushed myself to complete the mileage otherwise.  

No matter how hard any of my rides will be, the pain is only temporary and I wish I could say the same for MS.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a biker, and *I* think you look ridiculous. Just kidding! Comes with the territory, right? This is awesome, Amanda. Good luck and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete