Friday, May 23, 2014

Why I'm Biking for MS

Hello and Welcome to my Biking Virginia for MS Blog!

In just over a week from now, I'm going to be bicycling 360 miles from Yorktown, VA to Blacksburg, VA to raise money and awareness for Multiple Sclerosis (MS) research with the organization Bike the US for MS (www.biketheusforms.org), which is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization.


Starting June 1st in Yorktown, VA and ending August 1st in San Francisco, CA, I’ll be part of 40 other riders who will bike for two months straight for this same cause. I so wish I could take two months off to do the full ride across the US!  


In 2014, Bike the US for MS is collaborating with the National MS Society to fund their NOW research campaign, as well as home modification projects to help people with MS maintain independence. Cyclists will also deliver funds to UVA's MS clinic in Charlottesville, Swedish MS Center in Seattle, and Fairview MS Achievement Center in St. Paul as they pedal across America.  Personally, I have a number of friends who have been affected by MS within their families, and I feel this ride is a great way to honor them and to raise awareness within my circle of friends, as well as all the strangers I'll meet along the way. 

If you are interested in donating towards the cause, you can easily and securely donate online through my personal Bike the US for MS fundraising page: http://www.biketheusforms.org/cyclists/detail.asp?cid=500

I'm truly lucky to have a healthy body to do this ride and feel blessed to be able to share this experience with you.  I'm dedicating my journey to my friends and their family members that have been affected by MS in some way.  I’ve found the more people I get in touch with the more encouraged I am to be doing this ride.  I'm both nervous and excited for this journey, but I know that the 6 days of pain and struggle I may feel is minute compared to the daily struggles those with MS experience.


Thank you so much for your support and for following along!


Please note: I'll be doing the bulk of my blogging from my cell phone, so please excuse any typos or less than perfect formatting!

1 comment:

  1. How many days will it take to complete the 360 miles? Blacksburg is a beautiful place to finish!

    ReplyDelete