Friday, July 7, 2023

Day 5. Fargo, ND to Kathryn, ND.

Thursday, July 6. Fargo, ND to Kathryn, ND.

Knowing today would be a 79 mile day, I tried to get up and out early.  I was somehow one of the first to leave, but a couple wrong turns caused some folks to get past me, not to mention I'm one of the slowest riders.  I feel like this group is either a bunch of early risers, but I feel like I never left camp until 8am on my previous trips.

Winding my way out of Fargo, the temp was in the low 50s and breezy, but it would be nearly 80°F by the end of the day, so wearing layers to shed at the rest stops was key.  I found my way out to University Street South, but ended up at the busy intersection for I-94, so I backtracked some to get back onto a bike path.  The bike path eventually ended and University Street became a country road.  I counted down the avenues until I got to 100 and made a right.  I thought I could take it all the way to 165 Street, which was the street our rest stop was on, but it turned out to be gravel eventually. So, again, I backtracked to Route 17, a semi-busy country road.  Eventually, after 25 miles or so, I made it to the rest stop.  I loaded up on snacks, almost overeating, but it held me through the next 30 miles.  On this stretch of road, though, my anxiety crept in and, at one point, two semi trucks nearly ran my off the road. I let myself have a quivering lip and get tears in my eyes for a few seconds, but I knew I couldn't cry the next 50 miles.  And, as much as I wanted to quit, my ego wouldn't let me.  This road had a 65 mph speed limit and was one of the few paved roads around.  Most every other road was gravel!  Tell all your gravel grinder friends that North Dakota is the place to be!  The highway had nearly no shoulder, so I'd ride in the lane and watch my helmet mirror for cars and trucks.  Whenever a semi truck would pass head on, the wind would nearly knock me off my bike, so I would tuck way down and hold on.  When one came from behind, I enjoyed the slight pull it gave after the initial wind gust. Not everyone moved over, which was absolutely terrifying.
At the 2nd rest stop, I stocked up on yummy treats in the gas station, including red licorice, Naked Juices, and some gluten-free beer ($10 for an Angry Orchard 6-pack, not bad!!).  Heading out for the last 22 or so miles, I decided to not feel rushed.  I would get off the road into the culvert, if I didn't feel safe with a truck passing.  Sure enough, one of the cyclists witnessed me doing this just as two semi's were passing right next to me and no shoulder for them, so there was no room for error or else I was a goner.  Truly terrifying. Most moved over, but I think a few drivers really felt like we shouldn't be on the road, even though it's the established American Cycling Association route.  Maybe the ACA should fund a bike path through this section!
A couple miles before the turn-off for camp, there was a long, steep downhill that resulted in an equally long and steep climb.  It was the only climbing so far for me on this trip and at 70+ miles for the day, I felt it!  When we turned off the highway towards Kathryn, it was a beautiful, rolling 4 miles to the town.  Population 54.  We camped outside the community center and met a really nice local man named Paul.  I took my first tent shower, which was an experience because it was hot in the sun and there was a strong breeze, so the tent was blowing around.  Regardless, it was a great shower, all things considered.  With no restaurants in town, we cooked.  Actually, Jeremy made his Funyon Onion soup, with beef jerky and cheese curds, so I had some of that.  Emma had too much of her instant mashed potato, Velveeta cheese, canned chicken mixture, so I also enjoyed that.  Easy night for me!
After dinner, I walked around the tiny town, reading the historical sign and checking out the buildings.  I am fascinated by this town and how people end up here, how they spend their time, and what their lives are like.  I had a really good conversation with a local named Paul about his life and some of what it's like to live here.  As I write this at 10:15pm, there is still some twilight (mindblowing!) and I'm listening to the babbling brook next to my tent, which is so peaceful.  However, I wonder how many ticks will be on my tent come morning.  I only have 2 more days of cycling, but I'll cover 172 miles, if I can hang! I feel like I'm finally getting into a groove and my shoulder pain was better today, so I know I'll be sad to leave on Sunday.  It'll be bittersweet, for sure, but I hope to keep in touch with this great group of people!
Thank you for following along!

If you'd like to donate, please do so here:
https://ride.biketheusforms.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.participant&participantID=1436

1 comment:

  1. You're Terrified ?
    I'm Terrified !
    Your Mother would be Apoplectic with Worry for you !!!
    Brave Girl.
    As always,
    "OH, The Places You Will Go !

    ReplyDelete